Allardyce gives update on West Ham’s pursuit of Chelsea target Bony
PUBLISHED: 09:00 30 March 2013
Sam Allardyce has admitted West Ham’s interest in Vitesse striker Wilfried Bony but conceded that the Hammers face competition from Chelsea to sign the 24-year-old.
The explosive Ivory Coast hitman has smashed 26 goals in 24 league games for the Dutch Eredivisie side this season and his performances have not gone unnoticed in England.
Last week West Ham co-owner David Sullivan revealed he was meeting with a “top class striker” on Monday with a view to breaking the club’s £10.75million transfer record.
Reports emerged that Bony was the striker in question and that Chelsea had joined the race to sign him.
Asked if he knew how Sullivan’s Monday meeting had gone, Allardyce smiled: “Yes, but I’m not telling you.”
The former Bolton boss added that Bony is one of a number of targets West Ham have in mind.
“If we stay in this league and look to build for next season, every available frontman would be of interest to us, if we think he can come and score goals,” he said.
Allardyce was not surprised to hear of Chelsea’s reported interest in Bony, saying: “If there’s a striker available there’s always going to be competition.
“You’re not going to have a free run at people that are available for transfer and who might fit into your budget.”
The 58-year-old was quick to play down West Ham’s hopes of signing Bony, hinting that they may have to bide their time until the end of the summer transfer window.
“You have to remember that 95% of what we go for we won’t get,” he said.
“It happens every year. We have to wait, and even if you want them early on they won’t say yes.
“They want to wait and see what else is about first, if there’s anybody better and bigger than you are
“Then they might come back to you later on. If you’ve moved on by then you just turn around and say, ‘Sorry, you’re too late.’”