West Ham start with a fifth consecutive season opening defeat

PUBLISHED: 08:04 13 September 2020 | UPDATED: 08:50 14 September 2020

Newcastle United's Allan Saint-Maximin (centre) battles for the ball with West Ham United's Jarrod Bowen (left) and West Ham United's Ryan Fredericks during the Premier League match at London Stadium.

Newcastle United's Allan Saint-Maximin (centre) battles for the ball with West Ham United's Jarrod Bowen (left) and West Ham United's Ryan Fredericks during the Premier League match at London Stadium.

PA Wire/PA Images

Premier League: West Ham United 0 Newcastle United 2

West Ham United's Declan Rice chases referee Stuart Attwell as he appeals for a hand ball during the Premier League match at London Stadium.West Ham United's Declan Rice chases referee Stuart Attwell as he appeals for a hand ball during the Premier League match at London Stadium.

Yet again, this was definitely not the start to the new campaign that the Hammers wanted as they kicked-off with a defeat for the fifth successive season, at London Stadium.

Although Angelo Ogbonna and Pablo Fornals struck the woodwork in an end-to-end goalless opening period, Magpies new boys Callum Wilson and Jeff Hendrick secured victory for the visitors with two telling second-half strikes.

Wilson – so often the scourge of West Ham United – prodded home his eighth goal in nine games against the Hammers on 56 minutes, before Hendrick doubled the lead with an 18-yard scorcher with just four minutes remaining to leave David Moyes now contemplating a daunting half-dozen fixtures ahead.

With no fans allowed within London Stadium, a band of hardy Hammers supporters had gathered, pre-match, on the roadside approach, banners unfurled, in protest at the lack of summer transfer activity down West Ham way.

Indeed, with no new faces to select, Moyes had no option but to go with those who had served him so well in retaining the club’s Premier League status during last season’s frenetic Project Restart and, with Michail Antonio having bagged eight goals during July, the No.30 was asked to go alone up front, while January acquisitions Jarrod Bowen and Tomáš Souček started, too.

And within just seconds of the kick-off, Czech midfielder Souček – returning from international week - was quickly reminded that he was back in England, when ex-Hammer Andy Carroll sent him crashing to the Stratford turf with a crunching aerial challenge that earned the Big Man an early lecture from referee Stuart Attwell.

In the opposite dug-out to Moyes, Steve Bruce had conversely attracted a quartet of pre-season signings to Tyneside in recent days, capturing Hendrick from Burnley plus a trio of players, who thought they would be kicking-off in the Championship following relegation.

Having snapped up Hendrick on a free transfer and £15million Jamal Lewis from Norwich City, the Magpies also started with £20million Wilson following his move from AFC Bournemouth, while Ryan Fraser – having been released by the Cherries - was named on the bench, where he would remain as his new team-mates bagged all three points.

Within four minutes, the overlapping Lewis sent in a left-wing cross that Wilson nodded behind at the near post and, shortly afterwards, former West Ham schoolboy Jonjo Shelvey swung over the first corner of the evening, which saw Federico Fernández’s header parried by Łukasz Fabiański.

Newcastle certainly meant business as Antonio found to his cost, when the consequently cautioned Isaac Hayden scythed him in full-flow with a dozen minutes gone but the Hammers finally threatened as Mark Noble floated the resultant free-kick to the far post, where Ogbonna climbed highest to send his looping header onto Karl Darlow’s crossbar.

Back at the other end, Wilson stabbed wide and, as the tackles flew in, Shelvey’s free-kick deflected into Fabiański’s clutches, while Carroll also a dispatched 15-yard header beyond the Polish ‘keeper’s left-hand angle.

You may also want to watch:

As the half-hour approached, the contest really started to open up with the breaking Antonio seeing his low shot saved by Darlow ahead of Souček sending a diving header wide, while the raiding Shelvey ripped an angled rocket into the side-netting before Carroll rounded off a clever juggle with a volley that flew just inches over the top to the relief of West Ham’s wobbling defence.

On 33 minutes, Pablo Fornals’ rising shot was deflected onto the crossbar by the diving Jamaal Lascelles but despite the seething Spaniard’s claims for handball – and a VAR check – the Hammers had to settle for a corner.

Wilson, who had Cherry-picked seven goals in eight games against the Hammers while playing down on the South Coast, again came close to breaking the deadlock but, this time, his curling 18-yarder arced inches wide of Fabiański’s left upright to somehow keep the opening 45 minutes goalless.

Moyes boys were living just as dangerously after the break, too, as Ryan Fredericks denied Carroll in the six-yard box and when Saint-Maximin broke away shortly afterwards, West Ham’s right-back was booked for felling the Frenchman.

Almost inevitably, on 56 minutes, Wilson broke the deadlock, when Javier Manquillo got the better of Fredericks down the right flank before crossing towards the near post, where Hendrick nodded on and Wilson stabbed past Fabiański from a couple of yards.

Andriy Yarmolenko and Sébastien Haller were summoned from the bench in a double-substitution that saw Noble and Fornals retire and the two new arrivals were quickly into the thick of things.

First Haller’s angled shot appeared to strike the arm of Lascelles, who again escaped without punishment before Yarmolenko was booked for a forward’s lunge on Saint-Maximin, moments after Manquillo had seen yellow for felling Jarrod Bowen.

Yarmolenko then saw his low 20-yarder deflected wide, while Haller’s late header was clawed out from under his crossbar by Darlow before Miguel Almirón joined the action late-on.

And the Paraguayan substitute soon squared to Hendrick, who lashed an 86th-minute screamer past Fabiański to cement victory over the Hammers, who now face tricky trips to Arsenal, Leicester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool as well as difficult haunting home encounters with both Wolves and Manchester City all before Halloween.

West Ham United: Fabiański, Fredericks, Cresswell, Diop, Ogbonna, Rice, Souček, Bowen (Felipe Anderson 88), Noble (Yarmolenko 66), Fornals (Haller 66), Antonio. Unused subs: Randolph, Johnson, Balbuena, Lanzini.

Newcastle United: Darlow, Manquillo, Lascelles, Fernandez, Lewis, Saint-Maximin (Joelinton 75), Hendrick, Shelvey, Hayden, Carroll (S. Longstaff 86), Wilson (Almiron 84). Unused subs: Gillespie, Krafth, Ritchie, Fraser.

Booked: Hayden (12), Fredericks (54), Manquillo (68), Yarmolenko (69).

Referee: Stuart Attwell

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest East London Sports News


Leyton Orient head coach Ross Embleton said he is “devastated” they have been forced out of the Carabao Cup without being able to come up against Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur.

Yesterday, 18:00

Veteran Ryan ten Doeschate helped Essex bat out a draw to hand his side the inaugural Bob Willis Trophy and their third first-class title in four years.

Yesterday, 12:32

Redbridge picked up a 2-1 victory over local rivals Woodford Town in George Christou’s first match in charge after being appointed last week.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Jamie Porter has put Essex into a strong position as they shape up for the final day’s play in this Bob Willis Trophy clash at Lord’s where Somerset will resume on 227 for 7 and a lead of 191.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Sir Alastair Cook struck the 67th first-class century of his career when compiling 172 in the Bob Willis Trophy final.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Alastair Cook stroked his way to 172 as he produced an innings of the highest quality to put Essex on the cusp of a first innings lead in their Bob Willis Trophy clash with Somerset at Lord’s.

Friday, September 25, 2020

Leyton Orient have been denied the chance of a re-arranged fixture with Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur after the EFL made the decision to give Spurs a bye into the fourth round of the Carabao Cup.


For the past six months, employers and employees have been adapting to ways of working from home. The green light has now been given to many people to go back to offices safely. From flexible hours and staggered starting times to deep cleaning, we’re getting ready for new ways of working.

School’s in for summer – and beyond – with health experts agreeing that pupils safely returning to their studies is “positively” the right thing to do. It’s vital for all children’s welfare, not just in terms of students’ future education but also mental and physical well-being, as well as social interaction of classmates.

The NHS Test and Trace system provides protection for family, friends, colleagues and the community, and is here to keep all of us safe and allow us to enjoy summer safely. We take a look at how the system is working and talk to one member of the thousands of team members about her experiences.

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Docklands and East London Advertiser
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now

Latest from the East London Advertiser