Hillyard poised for biggest test
Hard-hitting East Londoner George Hillyard faces the biggest fight of his four-year pro career at the Watford Coliseum
Hard-hitting East Londoner George Hillyard faces the biggest fight of his four-year pro career next week in a Southern Area middleweight title showdown at the Watford Coliseum.
Hillyard faces strong rival Matthew Thirlwall in a clash on Saturday May 23 that forms the chief supporting bout on a Hennessy Sports show headlined by Darren Barker's Commonwealth middleweight title fight against Midlands rival Darren McDermott.
The 24-year-old Hillyard has endured a stop-start career that includes three defeats, but the former Lion Club amateur knows that victory next week could be a major boost for his fighting future.
Bermondsey-born Thirlwall has also suffered three defeats in a 21-fight pro career that started back in 2002 and, at the age of 28, another setback could represent the end of his big-time ambitions.
You may also want to watch:
It looks like a real crowd-pleaser between the two London rivals, from north and south of the Thames, with both fighters knowing that they cannot contemplate a fourth career loss.
Undefeated heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury, from Manchester, will be looking to maintain his own victory run in Watford in his sixth pro fight, while promising fighters Bradley Evans, Steve O'Meara and Steve Barnes also feature. Tickets are available from the box office on 0844 888 4402 or via www.ticketline.co.uk.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns