Hockey: Free training workshops for London teachers
- Credit: Garry Bowden/SIPPA
England Hockey will be providing 12 free introductory hockey training workshops specifically designed to engage and train teachers in London throughout the year.
The free workshops will be delivered by its fully-qualified coaches, as part of an inspiring initiative to engage girls in sport, TeamUp.
The three-year initiative developed by the England & Wales Cricket Board, England Hockey and England Netball, is designed to maximise the legacy of three consecutive home women’s World Cups from 2017-2019, and give thousands of 7-13-year-old girls across the country the chance to play team sports.
In May of this year, TeamUp was awarded over £650,000 by Wembley National Stadium Trust (WNST) to extend the initiative within the London boroughs and provide local delivery support for London schools and additional opportunities for young girls to participate in sport.
The 12 introductory hockey teacher training workshops are being run through the initiative as a result of the extra funding. During the workshop, teachers will be provided with the following:
You may also want to watch:
• Ideas and tips on delivering fun and engaging sessions;
• Confidence in planning safe and fun sessions that encourage implicit learning;
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
• Information about equipment and resources which make session delivery simple;
• A grasp of hockey in its current form and how it can be played at any level.
Jo Duff, Participation Programmes Manager at England Hockey, said: “Last academic year we launched our free teacher training nationally and provided training to over 750 teachers.
“Based on the initial success and to celebrate the Vitality Women’s World Cup being hosted in London next summer we are looking to train 2018 teachers in total by next December.
“The workshops will be delivered by England Hockey tutors and are open to any primary or secondary school teachers who are looking for easy to use ideas to deliver fun and engaging hockey sessions.”
The first teacher training workshop is being held at Archbishop Sumner Primary School, Jubilee House, 2 Reedworth St, Lambeth, London SE11 on Wednesday December 6 between 4-6pm.
To sign up to the free workshop, enter your details at surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LambethTeacherTraining.
For more information about TeamUp and how to apply for training and delivery support for your school, visit teamupengland.com.