Judo: Mixed emotions for Veras brothers at North West Area Age Banded Judo Championships
- Credit: Archant
Older brother Luan triumphs in Blackburn, but Liam is disqualified
There were mixed emotions for the Veras brothers at the North West Area Age Banded Judo Championsips in Blackburn as Luan took gold, while younger brother Liam was disqualified.
The siblings travelled north with high hopes of doing well at a competition that was of importance to Luan in particular.
The meet is one of several Ippon League events organised by the British Judo Association and acts as a qualifier for the England squad for pre-cadets, the level which Luan currently fights at.
The older of the Veras brothers was able to triumph and won a well-deserved gold in the -46kg category, which saw him climb to second in the Ippon League and qualify for the England squad.
You may also want to watch:
Liam, however, thought he had won the -34kg final, only to be disqualified for using a technique not allowed for a competitor of his age.
Following his success at the event, Luan linked up with the England squad in Walsall and will have gained much from the invaluable experience.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
• For further reference about the boys, the Veras Brothers are on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.