Judo: Veras youngster strikes gold in Wales
- Credit: Archant
East London youngster Luan Veras won gold at the Welsh Open Judo Championships at the Newport Centre recently.
Veras, 13, came out on top in the under-55kg pre cadets event to add another medal to his collection, having also impressed in Holland last month.
Travelling with younger brother Luca, 10, to the Alkmaar event, the Tower Hamlets resident led a German national blue belt by one point in his first content, before his opponent scored with an Uchi Mata throw.
Veras won his next bout against a Dutch brown belt with a Waza-ari, then saw off another rival with Ippon.
And his fourth contest, against a third Dutch opponent, also saw Veras win with Waza-ari to go through to a second group phase to fight for bronze.
You may also want to watch:
Veras ensured his place on the podium with victory courtesy of a hold down, while Luca also came back home with a bronze medal for his efforts.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 10 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'