Judo: Veras youngster strikes gold in Wales
- Credit: Archant
East London youngster Luan Veras won gold at the Welsh Open Judo Championships at the Newport Centre recently.
Veras, 13, came out on top in the under-55kg pre cadets event to add another medal to his collection, having also impressed in Holland last month.
Travelling with younger brother Luca, 10, to the Alkmaar event, the Tower Hamlets resident led a German national blue belt by one point in his first content, before his opponent scored with an Uchi Mata throw.
Veras won his next bout against a Dutch brown belt with a Waza-ari, then saw off another rival with Ippon.
And his fourth contest, against a third Dutch opponent, also saw Veras win with Waza-ari to go through to a second group phase to fight for bronze.
You may also want to watch:
Veras ensured his place on the podium with victory courtesy of a hold down, while Luca also came back home with a bronze medal for his efforts.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave