Lansbury ABC’s James Fernley secures win on Double Jab show; Repton ABC hope Romario Wallace claims London ABA Elite title
- Credit: Archant
The local news from the amateur boxing scene where Fairbairn’s Joshua Gustave lost out in the London ABA Elite middleweight final
Lansbury Amateur Boxing Club had more to cheer on Saturday night after James Fernley earned another notable victory.
The talented youngster was in action on a Double Jab show in South London and caught the eye with a controlled display.
Fernley was up against Aaron Issac, of Gravesham Amateur Boxing Club, and secured the win thanks to an unanimous points verdict.
Lansbury boxing coach Adam Spelling said: “James boxed really well and controlled the contest from the beginning. Well done.”
You may also want to watch:
The Poplar-based club, who are situated in Chrisp Street, were recently paid a visit from WBA International super-lightweight champion Ohara Davies.
Davies, who was set to fight on the undercard of Billy Joe Saunders’ WBO middleweight title defence against Martin Murray on April 14 at London’s O2 Arena before it was cancelled due to Joe Saunders’ hand injury, dropped in at Lansbury ABC last month to say hello.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
The club are keen to increase the number of boxers on their books and welcome people all of ages and skill level.
For more information, contact boxing coach Adam Spelling on @firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elsewhere, Repton hope Romario Wallace took the London ABA Elite welterweight title after outpointing a Fisher rival in the final.
The final took place at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square, with Russell winning by unanimous decision.
Wallace now progresses to the national quarter-finals, which take place at the University of East London on April 20.
The semi-finals take place at the same venue the following day, with the final at the iconic York Hall on April 22.
There was no such good news for Fairbairn’s Joshua Gustave, who lost the London ABA Elite middleweight final to Jermaine Williams of Hackney Boxing Academy.
Gustave reached the final having beaten Lansbury ABC’s Terry Conroy in the semi-finals of competition.
Despite having a reach advantage in the final, Gustave was narrowly edged out on points as Williams took the London title.