Lee Valley Lions outfox Slough Jets
- Credit: Archant
Lee Valley Lions 5 Slough Jets 2
Lee Valley Lions claimed their fourth National League win of the season against Division Two rivals Slough thanks to braces from Chris Fox and James Hepburn.
Coach George Alley brought himself out of retirement to start between the posts for Lions and saw his side open the scoring inside two minutes through Fox, who beat Chris Douglas on a breakaway from Hepburn’s pass.
Jets levelled just 44 seconds later as Kirkland Evans converted a pass from Matt Webb, but Fox restored the home side’s lead on a powerplay in the ninth minute, assisted by Simon Jones.
The visitors squared matters for a second time in the 27th minute as Nathan Darmanin claimed a shorthanded, unassisted effort with team-mate Luke Dreelan in the penalty box.
You may also want to watch:
But Lions skipper Nick Alley put his side in front for a third time with a lovely finish, assisted by Ross Sin-Hidge and Oskar Horter, before Hepburn converted Simon Geldart’s pass to make it 4-2 just past the midway mark.
The same pair combined just 38 seconds later for Lee Valley’s fifth goal of the night, as the hosts dominated the shot count 35-8 in the middle session.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
But neither side could add to the tally in the final stanza, as Lions dominated the shot count 63-32 overall and saw Alley skate off with their man of the match award.
Lions travel to Swindon next weekend for the last game of the cup group, before facing leaders Peterborough in three successive fixtures next month.
Scorers, Lions: James Hepburn 2+1 Chris Fox 2 Nick Alley 1 Simon Geldart 0+2 Ross Sin-Hidge 0+1 Simon Jones 0+1 Oskar Horter 0+1.
Jets: Nathan Darmanin 1 Kirkland Evans 1 Matt Webb 0+1 Cameron Barker 0+1.
Penalty minutes: Lion 22 Jets 16.
Shots faced: George Alley (LV) 9-8-15=32-2 Chris Douglas (S) 13-35-15=63-5.