Ashton double in Toronto loss
TWO goals from Dean Ashton were the real bonus from the Hammers first defeat of their pre-season in Toronto last week, when they were beaten 3-2 by a multi-national MLS All Stars team that included David Beckham. A packed BMO Field, Toronto, with a crowd
TWO goals from Dean Ashton were the real bonus from the Hammers' first defeat of their pre-season in Toronto last week, when they were beaten 3-2 by a multi-national MLS All Stars team that included David Beckham.
A packed BMO Field, Toronto, with a crowd of 20,000 plus inside, saw Ashton fire the Hammers in front midway through the first-half, but a sublime back-heel from Cuauhtemoc Blanco set up a sharp equaliser from Christian Blanco.
Blanco, the MSL's veteran Mexican midfielder, went on to become the evening's MVP.
He earned the accolade after a stunning, wonder goal just before half-time when he tricked his way through before crashing the MSL team in front, but 22 minutes into the second-half, Ashton netted an equaliser, although his deflected long ranger had a shade of good fortune about it. The MSL select team won the match from a penalty, converted by Dwayne De Rosario 15 minutes from time.
You may also want to watch:
Carlton Cole was given his first pre-season outing of the campaign and Matthew Etherington and Luis Boa Morte also got 45 minutes under their belts.
It was also a memorable evening for teenager Joe Widdowson at left-back, who marked David Beckham for part of the match, as pictured above.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 5 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 8 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 9 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries