ESL: Clapton 1 Sporting Bengal 2; Ilford 1 Southend Manor 1 (5-4 pens)
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal United got the better of east London rivals Clapton in their Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy tie on Saturday.
And Ilford also progressed after beating Southend Manor in a penalty shoot-out at Cricklefield Stadium, after their tie ended all square.
Tons were forced to stage the match at Redbridge's Oakside Stadium, with all three goals coming in the first half.
Bengal had the better of play and goals from Bobby Redwood and Curtley McIntosh put them on top at the break.
The second half was a largely scrappy contest, but Bengal protected their lead and now turn their attentions to the FA Vase and a home tie against Wormley Rovers at Mile End Stadium next weekend, while Clapton host Catholic United on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Ilford fell behind in the first minute of their match as Callum Fitzer found the net for Southend Manor.
But the Foxes got back on level terms with a quarter of an hour remaining thanks to Valter Simao and kept their cool from the spot to ensure their progress.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
Ilford are due to host Enfield in the FA Vase next weekend, when local rivals Woodford Town return to action to entertain St Margaretsbury at Harlow Arena.