Bethnal Green boss Gardner: Enfield won’t win Essex Senior League
BETHNAL GREEN United manager Justin Gardner says he is not surprised by league leaders Enfield’s recent poor form and does not believe they will win the title, writes Matt Diner.
The north London club are currently topping the Essex Senior League, five points ahead of second-placed Southend Manor.
However both Stansted in third and Bethnal Green in fourth have games in hand and Enfield have lost two of their last three matches.
“In my opinion Enfield won’t win the league, I don’t think they are good enough,” Gardner said.
“They are top because other teams have games in hand and I must admit I am not surprised by their recent slump in league form.
You may also want to watch:
“We did recently play them and lose, but we were absolutely dreadful in that game.
“Stansted would have beaten us 15-0 if we performed like that against them.
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
“It’s so tight at the top of the league and anyone from four or five teams can still win it. It will be fascinating to see how it plays out.”
Greens must win on Saturday against Hullbridge if they are to stay in touch with those at the top and Gardner has warned his side not to take their inconsistent opponents too lightly at Lower Road.
“On their day they can beat anybody in this league and they have shown that in the past,” Gardner said.
“We have to act professional and if we do that we should be fine. We played them earlier in the season and struggled, winning 1-0.
“It was a tight game and I was impressed with what I saw from them, so we must take care.”