Boost for Zola as Dixon steps up return to training
Teenage striker Terry Dixon could deliver a timely boost to West Ham's injury-hit squad as he nears a return to full fitness
Teenage striker Terry Dixon could deliver a timely boost to West Ham's injury-hit squad as he nears a return to full fitness and closes on a place in the club's first-team squad.
New signing Dixon sealed an incredible return to professional football last month after joining the Hammers on a three-year deal - only 12 months after a string of horrendous injuries appeared to have finished his career.
The forward was hailed as one of the rising stars of British football when he received a senior Republic of Ireland call-up as 16-year-old in 2006, yet he was released by Tottenham in March last year following a persistent knee problem.
Now Dixon is stepping up his training with the club's reserves and Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola has told the 19-year-old that he will get a chance to prove himself and win a place in the first-team squad at Upton Park.
You may also want to watch:
"Everybody keeps talking about Terry Dixon but I have not seen him play yet," Zola said. "Hopefully soon he will be training with me so I will try to have an idea about him as a footballer.
"They told me he was quite a talent and I'm really curious. This is a good opportunity for him. I think this club has been very good to him and I want to see how he takes the opportunity.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
"A big satisfaction would be to see him have some success because he was ruled out from the game.