Davis set for Hammers
Kelvin Davis is expected to sign for West Ham in the next 48 hours
Kelvin Davis is expected to sign for West Ham in the next 48 hours.
The former England Under-21 goalkeeper is currently training with the Hammers after his deal at Southampton expired and he will sign a two-year contract by the end of the week to act as back-up to Robert Green.
Southampton manager Mark Wotte had hoped to keep Davis, despite the goalkeeper undergoing a medical at Upton Park last week ahead of a switch to the Hammers.
The Saints boss revealed on Thursday that he remained optimistic Davis would agree a new contract with the League One club, if a takeover were sealed before he joined West Ham.
You may also want to watch:
"I asked Kelvin about his situation and he has almost signed for West Ham," Wotte said. "I hope the takeover will be done before Kelvin joins West Ham."
Southampton look set to be sold to Swiss company Liebherr Group in a �12.5m deal in the coming days.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
But Davis is poised to turn his back on the Saints and commit his future to West Ham after joining the club for training this week.
New signing Luis Jimenez did not arrive for the opening day of pre-season, with the midfielder finalising some personal matters following his loan transfer from Inter Milan.