Defeats for Sporting Bengal, Tower Hamlets
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal 2 Ilford 3
Ilford came out on top against Essex Senior League strugglers Sporting Bengal in another east London derby at Mile End Stadium on Saturday.
Allan Fenn’s Foxes had fallen to a 2-0 home defeat against Clapton in midweek, but took the lead through Wale Odedoyin on 24 minutes.
Paul Clayton doubled their advantage four minutes later and struck again just six minutes into the second half.
But Shiblu Miah and Codey Cameron hit back for the hosts to set up a tense finale, as the visitors held on for the points.
You may also want to watch:
Sporting return to action with a trip to Eton Manor on Wednesday.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
FC Romania 3 Tower Hamlets 1
Hamlets saw their six-match unbeaten run in the Essex Senior League brought to an end at Theobalds Lane.
Ade Abayomi’s men had won two and drawn four of their last six matches, battling back from two goals down to hold Basildon United 4-4 in their most recent outing in midweek.
But the home side took the lead from the penalty spot on 18 minutes through Andrei Vladut Pavel and quickly doubled their advantage as Clement Palimary struck.
Hamlets hit back before half time, but hopes of picking up a point were shattered when Pavel claimed his second goal of the afternoon to make it 3-1.
Tower Hamlets will look to get back to winning ways quickly when they return to Mile End Stadium to play host to bottom club Haringey & Waltham on Monday.