Essex Senior League: Chirpy Sawbridgeworth Town dump Sporting Bengal United out of Robert Errington League Cup
- Credit: Archant
Robert Errington League Cup semi-final: Sawbridgeworth Town 3 Sporting Bengal United 1
Sporting Bengal United’s hopes of silverware this season were ended last night after they suffered a 3-1 loss at Sawbridgeworth Town in the semi-finals of Robert Errington League Cup.
It remained goalless at the break and although Imrul Gazi’s team responded well to going behind, they were defeated in the end at Crofters End.
After a tight first 45, it was the Robins who broke the deadlock when Aaron Thomas drilled home.
Bengal fought back impressively though, and levelled the scores with around 25 to go in Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
It was all to play for now, but Thomas completed his brace late on and Toby Cleaver added a third from the penalty spot in the last minute.
Gazi’s team had fallen short of reaching the final at the last hurdle, but they could be proud of their run in the competition.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Next up for Bengal is a tricky trip to third-placed FC Romania on Saturday in the Essex Senior League.
Towers Hamlets are at home to Hullbridge Sports at the same time and they will be keen to bounce back after suffering a 5-0 thrashing on Monday night against Takeley at the Mile End Stadium.