Essex Senior League: Sporting Bengal United 4 Waltham Forest 1
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal United overcame an early setback to record their first victory of 2018 with a 4-1 win over Waltham Forest at Mile End Stadium.
Forest started quickly, when they grabbed a dream start when Maxwell intercepted a throw and teed up Owusu who netted after just 29 seconds of the contest.
Bengal fought back to level when lobbing over keeper Seetah, and then went on front when a free kick was flicked on and then slotted home.
They increased their lead further still from the spot to lead 3-1 at the break, before adding a late fourth with another penalty, after Hewitt had struck the bar for Forest.
Sporting’s win sees them move up to 14th and with a gap of six points to the bottom four, whilst Forest remain 16th, four points above the bottom four.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Imrul Gazi tweeted after the match: “Breathe IN, Breathe OUT! Finally it’s three points and well deserved to, after ANOTHER horrible start.
“It’s about pulling together and fighting for one another now, over the coming weeks.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
“The result gives much needed confidence to ALL. #relief #thelifeofamanager #wegoagain.”
Gazi and his men will now host Southend Manor at the Mile End Stadium on Saturday.