Essex Senior League: Stansted 4 Sporting Bengal 0

Action from Stansted's match with Sporting Bengal (pic Dan Wilson)

Action from Stansted's match with Sporting Bengal (pic Dan Wilson) - Credit: Archant

Sporting Bengal ended up well beaten by the Airportmen at a heavy Hargrave Park.

And the visitors finished the game with 10 men after Freddy Tandon was dismissed in the closing minutes for a second bookable offence.

Bengal travelled up the M11 on the back of a midweek cup win at Hackney Wick and had a great chance to open the scoring when a ball from the right found Eaia Embalo, but he fluffed his attempt and Abbdi Mohammad’s follow-up effort was well blocked.

Ashraf Ameer got in on the right soon after, but his cross held up in the sticky conditions, while David Vaughan was denied by a last-ditch tackle in the box and Ted Borozan’s acrobatic shot was gathered by Laurence Whymark at the second attempt.

Stansted’s Ryan Ramsey saw a shot go just past the far post and a low cross evaded two Blue shirts in front of the Bengal goal.

You may also want to watch:

Codey Cameron wasted two good chances after a mistake by the hosts, opting to pass to a team-mate when through on goal and then trying to do too much and getting tackled.

But Chris Moore headed wide from Jack Folan’s free-kick for Stansted just before the interval as the first half ended goalless.

Most Read

The home side went close within 20 seconds of the restart when a deep cross was almost turned in at the far post, before Ramsey lifted a shot over the visiting keeper and just wide.

The deadlock was broken on 55 minutes, though, as Julian Lloyd glanced a free-kick from Ramsey inside the far post.

And after Stef Nielsen flashed a shot wide, Stansted saw Lloyd denied by a goalline clearance before having penalty appeals waved away after going down in the box.

It was 2-0 on 70 minutes, however, as a corner from the left was pushed onto the bar by Vlad Benovskyyy and Moore volleyed home at the far post.

Substitute Warren Thomas added the third with his first touch just two minutes later and fellow sub Jack Sykes shot wide after coming off the bench, before Borozan shot straight at Whymark for Bengal.

Ramsey completed the scoring five minutes from time, chasing a hopeful ball as the Bengal defence stood statuesque and rounding Benovskyy before slotting home.

And Bengal’s miserable day was complete when Tandon took down Ramsey to earn a second booking and early shower in the final moments.

Imrul Gazi’s men return to Mile End next weekend to host Great Wakering Rovers.

Sporting Bengal: Benovskyy, N Ahmed, Ameer, Borozan, Tandon, Murray-Bruce, Cameron, Mohammad, Embala, Siddik, Vaughan. Subs: Noor, Silva, S Ahmed, Roberts.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus