Essex Senior League: Tower Hamlets let lead slip in defeat at Hullbridge Sports
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hullbridge Sports 2 Tower Hamlets 1
Tower Hamlets suffered a frustrating 2-1 defeat away to Hullbridge Sports in the Essex Senior League on Saturday afternoon despite taking an early lead.
Ajay Ashanike and Ade Abayomi’s team were playing their first fixture in two weeks, but saw their winless run extend to five games against one of the division strugglers.
Hamlets made a bright start at Lower Road though with Elias Armar-Tackie opening the scoring in the sixth minute after good play by Luke With.
The visitors pushed for a second, but Sports equalised on the half an hour mark when Luke Hornsley fired home through a congested penalty area.
You may also want to watch:
It remained 1-1 until the break, but Hamlets began the second period brightly and Wale Odedoyin should have put them ahead, but failed to take his chances.
The wasted opportunities would prove costly too with Hullbridge taking the lead in the 77th minute.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
A cross into the area was dealt with and accidently headed past his own goalkeeper by With to give Sports a 2-1 victory.
Hamlets are ninth in the table after this defeat and now have a week until they play again on Saturday when Stansted visit the Mile End Stadium.