Football: London Tigers lift title
- Credit: Archant
London Tigers were crowned Inner London Football League Premier Division champions after pipping Stepney on goal difference.
Stepney went into their last match with third-placed G7 with a two-point lead, as Tigers took on Mohammedan on the next pitch.
And Emdad Rahman’s Stepney – the long-time league leaders – struck first through Mufi Uddin, before G7 levelled.
Mams Uddin’s men then killed the game off and Tigers ran out 4-0 winners to clinch the title for the fifth time. Captain Abdul Wahid said: “It’s been a rollercoaster season. We’ve worked hard to retain our fitness and match sharpness and it’s paid off.
“The vets league is one of the most competitive around. I can’t remember the last time we had an easy game.”
You may also want to watch:
Rahman added: “This has been a bitter sweet season. The senior team were relegated but lifted the BFA Somali Cup and the veterans, it wasn’t meant to be.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week