Football: Stepney triumph in Inner London Football League Winter League opener
- Credit: Archant
Inner London Football League Winter League: Stepney 2 London Tigers 0
Stepney began the new Inner London Football League Winter League in style with a 2-0 win over defending champions London Tigers.
The defending champions started the game as favourites, but Tigers were pegged back inside their own half during the opening exchanges.
The early pressure paid off for Stepney as a superbly executed snap shot from Sham Zaman drew first blood to hand them the lead.
With no changes at the interval, Stepney reverted to soaking up the pressure in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
The tactic paid off and a foray into the opposition half saw Jamal Rahman fouled for a penalty which was neatly dispatched by Mufi Uddin.
Minutes later another quick move on the break saw Mufi break clear of the Tigers defence.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
As the Stepney forward ghosted past Kamruz Zaman, he was upended with the goal in his sights and the Tigers defender was dismissed.
Stepney saw out the rest of the game to triumph.