Gabbidon eyes return
Danny Gabbidon has vowed to overcome his West Ham injury nightmare and repay the faith shown in him by manager Gianfranco Zola
Danny Gabbidon has vowed to overcome his West Ham injury nightmare and repay the faith shown in him by manager Gianfranco Zola.
The Wales defender has not played for the Hammers since December 2007 following a serious groin injury, which cast doubt on his ability to return to top-level football.
Wales manager John Toshack last year questioned whether the 29-year-old would ever return to action after 15 months without an international appearance.
But Gabbidon is on the way back after stepping up his rehabilitation this month and the 2005 Hammer of the Year is desperate to reward West Ham boss Zola for his patience and encouragement.
You may also want to watch:
"I've been to see a few different people and the club have been really good and anything that I've wanted they have done," Gabbidon said.
"I'm working hard and trying to get back to training and once I get to that stage it's about getting back into the team, which is doing very well at the moment.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
"I've spoken to the manager a few times and he has been really good to me. When you've been out for a while you can think you are the forgotten man. But he asks how I am, how I'm feeling and when I'm coming back.
"It's nice to know the manager is thinking about you. He's been really good.