Gianfranco Zola: Missed opportunities are costing West Ham
Gianfranco Zola admits his West Ham side needs to find the killer touch in front of goal if they are to turn possession into points this season
By KIRK BLOWS
Gianfranco Zola admits his West Ham side needs to find the killer touch in front of goal if they are to turn possession into points this season.
The Hammers have scored nine goals in seven league and cup outings this term but that figure should have been much greater.
And they were guilty of spurning several good chances before crashing out of the Carling Cup with a 3-1 extra-time defeat at Bolton on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
Zola reflected on that result by admitting: "Finishing was one of the reasons we lost.
"I don't remember a game where we created so many opportunities.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
"When you build up so many opportunities, you obviously need to do better."
Full-back Herita Ilunga opened the scoring but forwards Zavon Hines, Kieron Dyer and Alessandro Diamanti were among those who failed to take their chances on the night.
The Hammers also enjoyed the greater share of possession without making it count.
Zola added: "We're playing good football and that is encouraging, so we just need to improve a few things. At least we are producing some good football. We just need to be a little bit more precise and we will do better.