Hackney & Leyton League: Bancroft come close to shock win

Bancroft came so close to pulling off the shock of the Jack Walpole Cup First Round after leading Premier League leaders Lapton 2-0 at half-time, before succumbing 5-3

Bancroft came so close to pulling off the shock of the Jack Walpole Cup First Round after leading Premier League leaders Lapton 2-0 at half-time, before succumbing 5-3.

It was a spirited display from Bancroft whose goals came from Tyronne Davidson and a Justin Weatherman double, while Daniel Stephenson, Jason Elliot, Maurice Byfield and a Daniel Senghore double eventually saw Lapton through to round two.

In possibly the biggest shock of the round, Division Four side Ravenscroft got the better of London Aprilla from Division One 2-1, thanks to a Chris Burke double, while Capmon's reply was not enough for Aprilla.

Another upset saw Division Four side Florist Arms take Mile End of Division One to penalties after drawing 3-3 and won 4-3 on spot kicks.

You may also want to watch:

Mahood Aberhams scored twice and Andrew Jules once for Mile End while Nani, Tony Gauchi and John Stacey were on target for Florist.

Hackney Borough beat Adam & Eve 4-1 thanks to a Marlon Marriott-Dixon double, plus goals from Alex Bramble and goalkeeper Stephen John, whose long punt upfield evaded everybody. Javan Troton replied for Adam & Eve.

Most Read

Nicky Best, Darly Whelan and Jason Domus were all on target for Albion Manor as they beat Comet 3-0, who crucially missed a first-half penalty.

Dan Debuc got his name on the scoresheet for East London, but they went down 4-1 to Alpha Grove.

Second Division outfit Jay Cubed had Premier side Black Meteors on the run and were 2-1 up at the break, but the class of the higher league opposition shone through and they eventually won 5-2. Ian Baker and Carlos Watt scored for Cubed, while Enoch Boateng struck twice, before Kamel Ibrahim, Kamel Mukfar and Frank Amank-Alta all found the target.

Red Devils beat Cock Tavern 3-1 thanks to goals from Alistair Buffonge, Wayne Edwards and Alex Reid, while Adrian Raphael replied for Tavern.

Duncan Coombs strike was enough to earn Shoreditch's progression to the next round as they beat Delta 1-0.

After drawing 3-3 with Young Prince in normal time, Eastway Olympia went on the rampage in extra-time and won 6-3. James Connor hit a hat-trick, while Jamie Cox, Peter Christian and Billy Fell all got on the scoresheet. Jordan Carrigan plus a John Cutts double were not enough for Prince.

Lockers thrashed FC Highstone 4-0 thanks to goals from Brian Dobson, Sean Hincheon, Cas Weaver and Tom Geogrey.

Real Romania beat Lancresse 4-1 thanks to strikes from Doriu Balaceanu, Florin Virlan, george Ofrim and Antoniu Mieroi, while Dean Richards replied for Lancresse.

Lee Brown hit a hat-trick as Three Compasses beat Lammas 7-1. Rheaz scored twice, while singles from Joe Benjamin and Keith Peel put a fine gloss on the scoreline. Danny Walker replied for Lammas.

Altay Baskal scored for Maynell, but they were soundly beaten 4-1 by AFC Knights, as MBW beat OKJH 5-2 thanks to goals from Lee Makepiece, Yussef Etti, Phillip Slade and an Adrian Sterling double. Anthony White and Paul Doyle replied for OKJH.

In what was probably the most exciting game of the day, Royal Oak and Wenlock Arms were level at 5-5 after normal time before Wenlock scored four goals in extra time to go through to the next round.

Ricky Hanmore scored five, Lee Southcott two, as Tim Crawford and Karl O'Flatherty both got their names on the scoresheet. Jamie Curtis grabbed a hat trick and Mark Christodovlou hit two in vain for Royal Oak.

Strikes from Dogar Rozuan Florin and Lucca Julian were not enough for Vio Romania as they went down 4-2 to Regents Park Rovers.

In the most remarkable result of the day Metwin destroyed Volker United 20-0.

James Smith hit five, Nathan Scarborough four and Alan Eames three did most of the damage, as single strikes from Johnny Fitzpatrick, Andre March, Alvi Veselay, James Tsekallias, Courtney Parkinson and James Purcell all scored one each.

Cosmopolitan edged out Tottenham Phoenix 4-3 thanks to goals from V Small, S Stanley, N Mathurin and S Daar.

In the Dickie Davies Cup first round, Premier League side Irawo Reds were too strong for Division One side Old George E2 and won 4-0 thanks to goals from Emmanuel Osigwe, Nana Yaw, Tayo Awoniyl and Emmanuel Pappee.

In the Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division Clapton Rangers could only draw 1-1 with Eureka for whom Leon Denison scored. Ashley Taylor-Forbes scored for Clapton.

In Division One, a Johnny Tama double, plus strikes from Steven Prince, Rida Knight and Earl Kirkali were enough for FC Pollit to beat Wounded Knee 5-2.

FC Big Kahuna edged past Athletico Angels 2-1 with goals from Paul Coulthard and Simon Pook, while James Brockbank replied for Angels.

Midfield beat Storm 2-1 thanks to goals from Michael Parker and John Nolan, while Maksim Volosin replied for Storm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus