Hackney & Leyton League round-up: Lapton and Clapton Rangers return to summit

Title rivals Lapton and Clapton Rangers have restored a familiar look to the Hackney & Leyton League table after returning to the top of the Premier Division

Hackney & Leyton League round-up

Title rivals Lapton and Clapton Rangers have restored a familiar look to the Hackney & Leyton League table after returning to the top of the Premier Division last weekend.

The championship hopefuls had been knocked off the summit in the opening weeks of the new campaign following the emergence of Real Romania and Irawo Reds as surprise contenders for the title.

But Lapton, the three-times champions, reasserted their authority with a crushing defeat of early leaders Real, while Clapton capitalised on an unexpected slip-up by Irawo to leapfrog the Reds and return to second spot.

You may also want to watch:

For Lapton, who were beaten by Irawo a week earlier, the victory over Real marked a welcome return to form, though the outcome remained in the balance at half-time after a goalless first half.

But Daniel Stephenson's double inspired a stunning blitz after half-time as Lapton underlined their championship pedigree with a 5-1 win. Ade Wale, Daniel Senghore and Abul Johnson were also on target, while Ionut Coropceanu replied for Romania.

Most Read

Clapton were involved in a closer contest against Bancroft United at Victoria Park, but Joe Seabrook's hat-trick helped Rangers secure a 4-3 win over the Bethnal Green side. Ade Cole also netted for Clapton, while Vinny Williams struck twice for Bancroft and Yaw Boateng was also on target.

Irawo Reds remain unbeaten but needed a late equaliser to preserve their undefeated record as Eureka claimed their first points of the season in a 1-1 draw. Michael Samuel's second-half strike gave Eureka a surprise lead before Kingley Sarfo netted Irawo's late leveller.

Black Meteors also got off the mark with a 4-0 win over Red Devils courtesy of a double from Edward Owusu-Ansah and further goals from Nawa Yaw-Agyei and Frank Amankwah, while Adrian Sterling and Dean Francis both scored twice in MSW's 4-0 win over Three Compasses.

Old King John's Head were rocked by a late goal for the third week in succession as Albion Manor hit back to rescue a 2-2 draw. Antony White and Mark Lee had put Old King John's ahead, but Rickie Edwards and Tony Walker replied.

Mile End climbed to the top of Division One with a 7-1 win over FC Highstone thanks to a hat-trick from Jack Hicks and doubles from Jason Burwood and Arim Williams.

Former leaders Adam & Eve lost 3-2 to Gascoyne despite a brace from Lee Vega, as two goals from Tolga Vlakan and a further strike by Kirtus Mader ensured Gascoyne prevailed.

Jermaine Hawkins and Dean Richards were on target as Lancresse Rangers collected a 2-1 win over FC Metwin, for whom James Smith netted a reply.

Division Two leaders Cosmopolitan overcame Athletico Angels courtesy of a double from Dominic St. Hill and a Liam Patrick strike, but second-place Delta suffered a shocking 6-2 defeat against Midfield.

Luke Trimm netted four times for Midfield and Daniel Pigott also struck twice, while Delta replied through Dave Armstrong's double.

Goals from Ricardo Gaffe, Dwayne Sharon and Gideon Bello helped Hare & Hounds secure a 3-2 win over Tottenham Phoenix, while Konstantyn Smal scored as FC Storm beat Lammas 2-1.

In Division Three, leaders Hackney Borough secured a 4-2 win over Alpha Grove through goals from Stephen Price, Marlon Marriott-Dixon and a double from Bobby Myers.

Marco Amezcua and Ray Bor were unable to prevent FC Maynell from a 4-2 defeat against second-place Wenlock Arms, while Cock Tavern won 2-1 against Hoxton Foxes and Mile End Colts secured a 4-2 win over Mustard.

Shoreditch Fire Penguins went top of Division Four with a 3-1 win over Young Prince thanks to Tom Howard's brace and a goal by Matthew Webb, while two goals by Jay Phull were unable to prevent previous leaders East London from falling to a 4-2 defeat against Ravenscroft.

Paul Christodoulou also scored twice in a losing effort as Royal Oak lost 4-3.

In London FA Junior Sunday Cup action, Eduard Matas hit a brace and Andreas Matyo also scored as Wounded Knee advanced to the third round with a 3-0 win over London Tigers, while AFC Knights fell to a 3-1 defeat at Enfield's Iskele.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus