Non-league: Tower Hamlets 4 Grays Athletic Reserves 1
- Credit: Archant
Tower Hamlets eased into the next round of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy with a comfortable win on Saturday.
AJ Ashanike’s side had seen their last Essex Senior League match before Christmas against Ilford abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch at Mile End Stadium.
But after a muted start on their return to action, they took the lead on 18 minutes when winger Yoan Edoukou cut in from the right and beat Liam Tuitt with a low shot under his legs.
The visitors came back into the tie in the lead-up to half-time but could not seriously test home keeper Jordan Stansbury as the scoreline remained unchanged.
And the second half was barely a minute old when Hamlets caught Grays napping and doubled their advantage when a good ball into the box found Suaibo Balde, who rifled home.
You may also want to watch:
It was 3-0 on 53 minutes when Montel Williams fired into the top corner from the penalty spot, with Hamlets completing their tally late on with a fourth from Ezekiel Kamara, who coolly slotted home a pass from fellow substitute Ismael Traore-Mendy three minutes from time.
Grays had the last word in the fifth minute of stoppage time with a fine curling free-kick from Manraj Phagura, but it was scant consolation.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
Hamlets return to league action in 2019 when they visit bottom club Barkingside at Cricklefield Stadium on Friday, January 4.