Lapton tighten grip on league after defeat of Clapton
Lapton have taken a giant stride towards securing a third straight Premier Division title after overcoming championship rivals Clapton Rangers in a titanic top-of-the-table clash
By PHIL RAVITZ
Lapton took a giant stride towards securing a third straight Premier Division title after overcoming championship rivals Clapton Rangers in a titanic top-of-the-table clash on Sunday.
Both sides entered the match boasting unbeaten records lasting some 18 months, but the Dalston side's stronger approach triumphed as goals from Maurice Byfield in the first-half and a late clincher from top scorer Ibby Ranks saw Lapton extend their lead at the summit to 13 points.
Clapton still have four games in hand, but their title ambitions now rest on the unlikely prospect of a Lapton slip-up in the final weeks of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Rangers boss DeCarlo Franklin appeared to accept that the league title was now out of reach, hinting that his side will choose to concentrate on their three cup campaigns.
"At times it was one-way traffic, but we couldn't break them down," Franklin said. "We have to meet twice more in cup games and we shall be looking for revenge."
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
Real Romania remain top of Division One after recording a thrilling 3-2 triumph over Gascoyne courtesy of goals from Florin Virlan, Antonio Mieroi and leading scorer Ionut Coropcianu.
Division Two leaders Delta slipped to a shock 2-0 defeat against Hospital Tavern, who climb to third place following strikes from Shaun Morgan and Dean Bail.
FC Highstone took advantage to close the gap at the top to just two points following a 2-1 win over FC Lockers.
In Division Three, Tottenham Phoenix overcame AFC Knights 4-2 to keep hold of top spot on goal difference from Lammas, who were 3-0 winners over Jay Cubed, while AC Islington climbed to the top of Division Four with a 2-0 win over East London.