Lovefootball coming to London
- Credit: Archant
Hackney Marshes to host festival on Bank Holiday weekend
The Lovefootball festival is coming to east London over the Bank Holiday weekend (May 23-25).
The celebration of football transcends race, religion, nationality, age, ability and gender and features a variety of tournaments and football activities to appeal to fans of all ages and abilities.
The weekend is an incredible celebration of the world’s favourite sport and the festival is built around the Inner City World Cup tournament, with teams made up of over 700 players from multicultural inner-city communities which bring cultures together in a fun, competitive and passionate way.
Since its launch in 1994, the ‘world cup in a weekend’ event has seen over 80 countries represented from Sierra Leone to the USA.
You may also want to watch:
Together with Hackney Council, Lovefootball are also running junior five-a-side tournaments throughout the weekend to keep youngsters fit and active.
There will be competitions for 7-11 year olds and 12-16 year olds, as well as coaching programmes, activity zones, games, competitions, former pros, celebrities, crossbar and hardest shot challenges plus much more.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
Lovefootball are also talking to many clubs about running taster sessions for youngsters and there will be food stalls with flavours from across the globe.
Each day over 3000 players, spectators and families will descend on Hackney Marshes for an unforgettable football experience.