Middlesex County Football League Premier Division: Peter Harrington pleased with Sporting Hackney victory
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Local club defeated Indian Gymkhana 2-1 with captain Sam Edwards netting a late penalty on the opening day of the season
Sporting Hackney manager Peter Harrington declared himself happy after watching his team get off to a victorious start in the Middlesex County Football League Premier Division on Saturday.
The Parrots, who play their home matches at Hackney Marshes, had to be patient away to Indian Gymkhana, but eventually claimed the points.
Harrington said: “I was pleased with the commitment of the players, but this is only the first game of a very long season.
“It is fantastic to win, yet we have plenty of hard work to do if we want to continue to improve and have a realistic opportunity of claiming honours.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney took the lead on the stroke of half time when Joshua Anderson’s cross was deflected in by a Gymkhana defender.
The hosts equalised early into the second period, but Parrots won a penalty 10 minutes from time.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
Captain Sam Edwards stepped up and fired home the winner to give Harrington’s team a 2-1 victory.