Mile End FC crowned Newham Champions League cup winners
- Credit: Archant
Mile End FC have been crowned the winners of the Newham Champions League after beating rivals Elite FC 2-1 in an entertaining final.
The final at Newham Leisure Centre was a tightly contested affair from beginning to end.
Elite had gone into the final as firm favourites having beaten their rivals twice to wrap up the league and pip Mile End to the honours.
With the league sewn up Elite were determined to pull off the first double in the short history of the Champions League.
A breathtaking game saw Mile End Captain Jahed scored a second half brace to put his team firmly in control but Elite hit back on the counter attack and in the dying seconds almost took the game to extra time but for a trademark save by Mike End keeper Chiggy.
You may also want to watch:
The game itself was a fabulous advert for grassroots football with neither team willing to give anything away.
The first-half ended 0-0 with both teams staying disciplined and keeping their concentration when it was needed most.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
The second-half started with Jahed pushing forward and this was key as Mile End captain raced through to beat Ashley in the Elite goal.
The Elite number one was further punished as a parried save landed at the feet of Jahed who again made no mistake. With the clock ticking Elite FC pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 and piled the pressure on Mile End and it nearly paid off but for the heroics between the sticks by goalkeeper Chiggy.
The final whistle was followed by crazy celebrations as Mile End manager Abdul Husain and his men collected their trophies.
“We believe in ourselves and that’s our strong point,” Husain said.
“We lost both games to our opponents and that cost us the league but the boys lifted themselves and proved their strength of character.
“I’m very proud of my team.”
Champions League organiser who jointly runs the League and Cup with Habs Rahman said: “It was another great end to a fantastic campaign and our congratulations once again go to Mile End FC for winning the inaugural Champions League Cup competition.”