New deal for Collison
Jack Collison is poised to sign a new contract at Upton Park after Gianfranco Zola confirmed the Hammers are close to agreeing terms with the midfielder
JACK COLLISON is poised to sign a new contract at Upton Park after Gianfranco Zola confirmed the Hammers are close to agreeing terms with the midfielder.
Collison has emerged as one of the club's brightest young prospects following a handful of eye-catching displays this year, including a stunning strike against Everton last month.
The 20-year-old also made his full Wales debut this season with a man-of-the-match display in Denmark and the Hammers are set to reward his breakthrough by sealing a new long-term deal.
The club's decision to offer Collison a long-term contract follows last week's announcement that fellow academy graduate Freddie Sears has signed on for a further five years.
You may also want to watch:
Zola admits that West Ham's homegrown stars will play a key role in his vision for the Hammers after insisting he will continue the club's tradition of nurturing promising youngsters.
"They are the future of the club and that is the philosophy we want to have," he said.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 7 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
"We're looking to build a team like that, where there is always a possibility of young players coming through and youth to have a chance.
"That is my ideal situation and what we are trying to do. That is why Jack is going to sign an extension to his contract and Sears has already signed.