New ladies football league kicks off in Docklands
- Credit: Archant
Calling all ladies: Get out your shin pads!
Question: What is the fastest growing sport in the country at the moment? Another question: Which sport currently has 1.38 million women and girls playing regularly all over the country?
If you answered ladies football to either of those questions then you will realise just how big the sport is becoming.
The England team reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup in 2011, while at the London Olympics, Hope Powell’s Team GB side also reached the last eight and achieved huge publicity for the women’s game.
So now it is your chance to get out on the pitch and show what you can do with the launch of a brand new ladies five-a-side league at the Powerleague site in Docklands which will kick-off next Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
The competition, organised by Ladies Superliga and the London FA are giving females the ideal opportunity to participate in an affiliated league and as they also enter football competitions and tournaments it could really be a route into the vastly improving world of ladies football.
The league, which is for over-16s, currently has four teams in place, but they are looking for another couple, or indeed individual players who are interested in coming down and giving the sport a go.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
Games will take place every Tuesday from March 26 until May 15, between 8pm and 9pm at the Powerleague Centre in Selsden Way, Docklands. The nearest stations are Crossharbour on the DLR or Canary Wharf on the Jubilee line.
Each team will play two games of 20 minutes per week.
If you are interested then register online at www.ladiessuperliga.com or contact Ladies Super Liga directly on 07715 452446.
The cost to enter the league is £30 per individual or £200 per team.