Old King John's Head reach Gazette Cup last four
Old King John's Head completed the Hackney Gazette Cup semi-final line-up after with a thrilling last-eight win over Wounded Knee
Old King John's Head completed the Hackney Gazette Cup semi-final line-up after reaching the last four of the competition on Sunday with a thrilling quarter-final win over Wounded Knee.
Two goals from in-form David Laird and a Dylan McEvoy effort helped the Haggerston side to a 3-2 triumph and set up a semi-final clash with Division Two high-fliers Tottenham Phoenix.
Old King John's will be hot favourites to progress to the final and a possible meeting with Premier Division rivals Bancroft United, who were paired with Division One outfit Club '93 in the other last-four tie.
Holders Lapton cruised into the final of the Albert Daniels Senior Cup as goals from Ahmed Salvador, Dean Robinson and Maurice Byfield secured a 3-0 win over Division One promotion hopefuls Army and Navy.
You may also want to watch:
But the Premier Division leaders will have to wait to learn the identity of their final opponents after the semi-final between Real Romania and St George's Islington was abandoned due to serious injury.
Division One leaders Real were leading 5-0 when the match was called off, with the result now due to go before a league committee.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
In the Jack Morgan Cup quarter-finals, Shoreditch Fire Penguins, of Division Four, shocked FC Big Kahuna to reach the last four after a 4-3 win featuring a double from Tom Howard and further strikes from Al Pym and Matt Webb.
Jay Cubed and Tottenham Phoenix also advanced to the semi-finals with comfortable wins over Walthamstow Village and Old George E2 respectively.
In a thrilling Premier Division clash, Clapton Rangers pulled off a miraculous comeback to share a 5-5 draw with Bancroft, who had held a three-goal lead with 15 minutes remaining.
A second hat-trick in as many weeks from Bancroft striker Justin Weatherman, and additional efforts from Wesley Erskine and Dominic Asamboa, had helped Bancroft into a 5-2 lead late on.
But Clapton stormed back as Bradley Drisdale and James Smith both fired doubles, with Ashley Taylor-Forbes rescuing a point in the dying stages to keep Clapton's fading title hopes alive.