Friendly: Cheshunt 1 Leyton Orient 0
- Credit: Archant
Leyton Orient suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to Bostik South Central outfit Cheshunt in a friendly at Theobalds Lane last night.
A late Kyle Roberts goal sealed the victory for Craig Edward’s side against the O’s despite a dominance of possession from the visitors.
The O’s named a strong side for the match to give some of their first-team players some pitch time after naming an unchanged starting line-up in seven consecutive National League fixtures.
With first-team players Sam Sargeant, Sam Ling, Dan Happe, Shadrech Ogie, Dale Gorman, James Brophy, Matt Harrold and James Alabi all included.
The visitors got off to a strong start with a bundle of chances inside the opening 15 minutes before a golden opportunity fell to striker Harrold in the 22nd minute.
You may also want to watch:
The former Crawley Town man managed to fire the ball out of the ground after a link-up play between Gorman and Alabi.
Following a terrific run from Brophy, the winger was forced down and still managed to retain the ball until he found his way back onto the ball.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Isle of Dogs The Space theatre to open up after lockdown
- 6 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 7 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 8 All Points East: Meet east London artist Olivia Dean
- 9 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
Brophy then made another run at the Ambers defence and was brought down to give Orient a penalty in the 31st minute.
Harrold stepped up and drilled the penalty well over the bar.
Eight minutes later Alabi was put through on goal but hit the post and it deflected wide of the goal before Gorman then had a shot on target but it was tipped wide for a corner.
Right-back Ling whipped a ball into the box, it met the head of Alabi, but he was bundled into and failed to get enough on it two minutes before half-time.
The O’s continued to push for a goal but the hosts substitute Ali Cheranti started causing some chaos with his pace.
The midfielder broke through the Orient midfield after picking the ball up and then breezed past Ogie but had his shot blocked.
In the 67th minute Brophy and Ling were replaced by Hector Kyprianou and Ernold Haxhiu and then Cheshunt became the dominant force.
After a brief spell in control Cheshunt attacker Roberts slotted the ball into the bottom corner past Sargeant after breaking down the right with pace.
Cheshunt: Mason, Powell, Awotwi, Symons, Musaj, Jourdan, Roberts, Gordon, Sanusi, Sappleton, Kifwasima
Subs: Bruno, Silva, Cheranti, Casey
Leyton Orient: Sargeant, Ling (Kyprianou 67), Ogie, Happe, Sweeney (Clayden 55), Shabani, Gorman, Phillips, Brophy (Haxhiu 67), Alabi (Hammond 78), Harrold.
Unused subs: Janata.