Osmani Nagar announce Greater Sylhet squad
- Credit: Archant
Osmani Nagar have named their squad ahead of the Greater Sylhet Cup next weekend.
The Mile End-based team announced their team at a pre-tournament get together at the Memsaheb on Thames restaurant in the Isle of Dogs.
The dinner party was chaired by team stalwart and current squad member Rashid Ali on the night.
Chairman Syed Salique Ahmed said: “The sense of pride amongst our players who have achieved so much in the game speaks dividends.
“The Greater Sylhet Cup has engaged a whole host of community individuals and prolonged the careers, aspirations and the social circles of people who would otherwise find a huge gap in their lives as they reach an age where they suddenly have to hang up their boots.
You may also want to watch:
“We at Osmani Nagar are proud of our achievements and I would like to give special thanks to our volunteers as we simply would not be able to function without the generosity of their time. I am humbled by their dedication.”
Team manager Mamun Chowdhury announced his squad on the night and said: “Again this year was a tough one for selections, but a manager has to live by his convictions and I believe we have a healthy complement of both youth and experience amidst our ranks.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
A surprise announcement was the inclusion of former West Ham United, Bristol Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday and Dagenham & Redbridge captain Anwar Uddin.
Also in attendance at the event were former Tower Hamlets council leader Helal Uddin Abbas, former Cllr Khales Ahmed, former Sonali Othith chairman Dawlath Khan Babul, current Sonali Othith chairman Jamal Uddin and colleagues Faruque Ahmed and Joynal Abdin, Abdus Salam from Sylhet Sadar, Abdul Boshir from Jagannathpur and Sorwar Alam from Beanibazar.
Rashid Ali added: “This is a humble Upazila and for us to win it twice surpasses everything I’ve won in my career.”
Osmani Nagar: Shumon Chowdhury, Abdul Wadud, Juned Ali, Abul Hussain, Kabir Miah, Shanur Miah, Shazzadur Rahman, Khasru Miah, Sazzad Miah, Rashid Ali, Rashid Ali, Repon Chowdhury (Captain), Shahajan Miah, Muhammed Nashir, Russell Chowdhury, Moynul Hoque, Azmol Ali, Kamal Hussain, Enam Hoque and Anwar Uddin.