Poplar footballers celebrate Will Crooks
- Credit: Archant
The Will Crooks Estate was the venue as a community football tournament was held to celebrate unity as well as the life of Will Crooks.
William Crooks was a noted trade unionist and politician from Poplar, London, and a member of the Fabian Society.
He is particularly remembered for his campaigning work against poverty and inequality.
David Viner, Will Crook’s great grandson came to the Workhouse Leisure Centre to present the Will Crook’s Shield to the winning team Future Stars 1.
Sister Christine Frost said: “We had a great day with David who thoroughly enjoyed the football and the fun day, in spite of the blazing sun.
You may also want to watch:
“David presented us with the Shield and he hopes to return next year to present it to a Workhouse team.”
Neighbours In Poplar, founded in 1969, is a registered charity providing practical support to older, frail, isolated people of all cultures and faiths, living in Poplar and the Isle of Dogs.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom