Shadwell complete historic double
- Credit: Archant
Club get BFA Summer League Cup revenge over Sylhet
Shadwell got their revenge on Sylhet FC to lift the BFA Summer League Cup silverware.
The teams had met in the last eight of The Shires Cup a day earlier, when their derby was a hotly contested tie won by Sylhet FC after a moment of magic from Moin Miah.
Sylhet went on to be crowned Shires Cup champions, but Shadwell had a different game plan for their return meeting 24 hours later, with Shelim Shakir returning to the team alongside stalwarts Mujahid Hussain, Sana Miah, Abdul Hamid and Bodrul Zaman.
Head coach Jamal Uddin sent his side out with a clear strategy and it worked to perfection as they controlled the first half.
You may also want to watch:
A young Sylhet had the better of the second period, as boss Kamal Chowdhury brought in Abdul Wahid to bolster midfield, but the scoreline remained blank.
And Shadwell kept their nerve to win the penalty shoot-out 4-3 and complete an historic double.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Veteran keeper Helal Uzzaman, who made several outstanding saves during the match and kept out two penalties despite a shoulder injury, was a clear man of the match for Shadwell.
Uddin said: “We were disappointed to lose the Shires Cup 24 hours earlier. Sylhet FC were tremendous and had great energy throughout and this was a factor I considered as part of my planning.
“I brought back the old timers and despite not quite having the legs these days these boys definitely have the knowhow and it paid off. Well done to the team on achieving an historic double.”