Silverware for Seven Mills at George Green’s
- Credit: Archant
Team come out on top in 7-a-side football event
Seven Mills were crowned champions in a seven-a-side fathers’ football tournament at George Green School.
The competition also involved Marion Richardson, Cubitt Town, Cubitt Town 2, George Greens and John Scurr, with teams placed in a group and the top four meeting in the semi-finals.
Seven Mills lost the first game to a counter-attacking John Scurr team but showed resilience to bounce back and earn a 5-0 win as Masud Miah hit a hat-trick and two assists for the man of the match award.
Miah added another brace and assist in a 3- win over Marion Richardson, but another effort was in vain in a 2-1 loss to Cubitt Town 2.
You may also want to watch:
Two more goals followed for Miah in a 3-0 win over George Greens, though, as player-manager Abdul Sabur added a cracking strike.
That set up a rematch with John Scurr in the semi-finals and Seven Mills came out on top as Miah set up Titu Miah for the only goal.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
The final pitted them against Cubitt Town 2, who hit the post twice and missed an open goal before Seven Mills took the lead through Marjan.
And as Town pushed forward for an equaliser, Masud Miah netted a vital second with a half volley on the turn.
Seven Mills, cheered on by mascots Yunus Sabar and Zayd Miah, did concede late on, but the trophy was theirs and player-manager Sabur said: “Silverware is silverware and we have played out of our skins for this. We are very proud of our achievement.”
Man of the tournament Masud Miah added: “The team clicked perfectly. We were resilient and the players played the game through me. With such a generous game plan it was easy for me to score so many goals. Thank you to my team-mates.”
Event organiser Gareth Haddow said: “This tournament was run to bring the local community together and celebrate the opening of the new football pitch. Well done Seven Mills on another cup win.”
Seven Mills: Masud Miah, Titu Miah, Abdul Sabur, Marjan Jakaria, Emdadul Tafadar, Mujakkir Miah, Ramsey Hamza Yusuf, Shofik Ullah.