Bengal progress into Trophy semi-final with Barkingside victory
- Credit: Archant
Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy; Barkingside 0 Sporting Bengal United 2
Sporting Bengal United progressed into the semi-final of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy with a 2-0 victory over league rivals Barkingside.
Goals from the returning Jay Knight and captain Kamarl Duncan sealed Imrul Gazi’s men progression in the cup competition at Cricklefield Stadium.
The visitors opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Duncan headed home a ball in from midfielder Steven Carvell.
They then went into the half-time break with a 1-0 lead despite chances from both sides.
You may also want to watch:
Bengal then secured the win in the 89th minute as Knight scored on the turn after being picked out by Carvell.
Sporting Bengal United tweeted: “Wasn’t the prettiest of games but a gritty and well deserved win in the end for our lads.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
“All the best to Barkingside FC for the rest of the season - Jimmy and Co were great hosts as ever.”
Steve Carvell tweeted: “2-0 win, two assists and Jay Knight is back.”
Barkingside: Breckenridge, Goldstone, Lang, Jones, Scott, Bailey, Thomas, Matthews, Ross, Hart, Oates.