Sporting Bengal beat Bowers to set record points total

Sporting Bengal United players (blue) defend a corner against Essex Senior League rivals Bowers & Pi

Sporting Bengal United players (blue) defend a corner against Essex Senior League rivals Bowers & Pitsea (pic: Steve Alison). - Credit: Archant

Fellow east Londoners London Bari score four goals at Eton Manor

Sporting Bengal United blew the Essex Senior League title race wide open last night with a 1-0 win at Bowers & Pitsea.

Anwar Uddin’s men travelled to the Len Salmon Stadium without a victory since March 26, but having battled well in 1-0 defeats against Ilford and London Bari.

They were facing a side going for the title having won 19 points out of a possible 21 in April, but Bengal weren’t going to roll over and put in a resolute first half display to come in level at the break.

The 67 in attendance expected Bowers to eventually break the east Londoners down after the restart, but again they didn’t buckle and four minutes from time they made it a night to remember when Abdisamad Mohamed found the net.

You may also want to watch:

Bengal’s attacker cut inside from the right and drilled a low effort past home custodian Martyn Guest. Uddin’s side held on after that to secure their 11th victory of the campaign and arguably their best.

It sees them remain 12th in the standings, but they’ve beaten their previous record points total of 44. With one more fixture remaining, they’ll hope to add to their current tally of 46 when they visit Greenhouse Sports on May 2.

Most Read


London Bari’s strong end of season form continued last night with a 4-2 success at Eton Manor.

Chris Davis’ men had only lost one of their last seven matches going into the encounter at Goffs Lane. The Old Spotted Dog outfit made a great start too as Adrian Sanchez put them ahead inside the opening 60 seconds.

Manor levelled in the 20th minute, but Bari soon retook the lead seven minutes later through Sanchez again. They were well in control against the Hertfordshire side now and made it 3-1 when they converted a penalty five minutes before half time through Jamal Jimoh.

And they weren’t finish there as Sanchez capped a wonderful first 45 by completing his hat-trick just before the break.

Manor managed to pull one back 10 minutes from time but, in front of just three supporters, it finished 4-2 to the east Londoners.

They move up to ninth in the table and still have four more matches to play. Tomorrow they travel to face FC Romania.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus