Sporting Bengal boss Gazi ‘proud’ to see his side progress in the FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal United manager Imrul Gazi was proud of his side after they progressed into the preliminary round of the FA Cup following a penalty shoot-out victory over neighbours Clapton.
Gazi’s men were pegged back late on by a 90th-minute Clapton equaliser to send the match to penalties where they triumphed 6-5 at the Terrence McMillan Stadium in their extra preliminary round tie.
There is now a trip to Isthmian South Central outfit Harlow Town in the next round for Bengal on Saturday, September 12.
“I’m so proud! If you’re going to win a game, that’s the way. My Sporting Bengal showed some amazing heart tonight,” Gazi said.
“To a man they were spot on. Commiserations to Clapton, a very talented side, and it’s never nice to lose in that fashion. Great effort from both teams.”
You may also want to watch:
Bengal drew first blood in the match as David Tarawali scored in the 37th minute to give them a lead heading into the half-time break.
The Tons levelled as former Redbridge man Conor Okus netted in the 53rd minute but it didn’t last long as Bengal restored their lead just four minutes later through Carlos Hubner.
- 1 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 5 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
- 6 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 7 Fear of mental health crisis as loneliness rises among disabled
- 8 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 9 Flower markets appeal to be allowed to open in time for Mother's Day
- 10 Police catch 70 people breaching Covid rules
Sporting Bengal will now look to build on their impressive cup victory when they return to Essex Senior League action for the first time since the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
They will welcome title favourites Walthamstow to Mile End Stadium on Saturday to play their first league fixture of the 2020-21 campaign.