Sporting Bengal boss Gazi ‘proud’ to see his side progress in the FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal United manager Imrul Gazi was proud of his side after they progressed into the preliminary round of the FA Cup following a penalty shoot-out victory over neighbours Clapton.
Gazi’s men were pegged back late on by a 90th-minute Clapton equaliser to send the match to penalties where they triumphed 6-5 at the Terrence McMillan Stadium in their extra preliminary round tie.
There is now a trip to Isthmian South Central outfit Harlow Town in the next round for Bengal on Saturday, September 12.
“I’m so proud! If you’re going to win a game, that’s the way. My Sporting Bengal showed some amazing heart tonight,” Gazi said.
“To a man they were spot on. Commiserations to Clapton, a very talented side, and it’s never nice to lose in that fashion. Great effort from both teams.”
You may also want to watch:
Bengal drew first blood in the match as David Tarawali scored in the 37th minute to give them a lead heading into the half-time break.
The Tons levelled as former Redbridge man Conor Okus netted in the 53rd minute but it didn’t last long as Bengal restored their lead just four minutes later through Carlos Hubner.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 8 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 9 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
Sporting Bengal will now look to build on their impressive cup victory when they return to Essex Senior League action for the first time since the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
They will welcome title favourites Walthamstow to Mile End Stadium on Saturday to play their first league fixture of the 2020-21 campaign.