Sporting Bengal earn Redbridge rewards
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal 2 Redbridge 0
Sporting Bengal completed an Essex Senior League double over inconsistent Redbridge at Mile End Stadium thanks to a brace from Oscar Almeida Mendes.
Imrul Gazi’s men had won 3-2 at Oakside on December 13 with goals from Sergio Garcia, Bobby Redwood and David Vaughan, as Jacob Dingli and Charlie Parish replied for Motormen.
But Sporting went into the return fixture with only one win in their previous 10 outings, although they had picked up a point in a 2-2 draw with high-flying FC Romania a week earlier.
Mid-table Redbridge, meanwhile, had claimed a 4-0 win over Wadham Lodge thanks to four goals from Brian Moses and their seven league and cup fixtures since a goalless draw at Clapton in mid-January had produced a total of 40 goals.
You may also want to watch:
The scoreline remained blank until the 33rd minute, though, when Mendes converted from the penalty spot to put his side ahead.
And Mendes made sure of the points with his and Sporting Bengal’s second goal midway through the second half, to the delight of boss Gazi, who took to social media site Twitter, posting: “Really good performance all round & more importantly a CLEAN SHEET. It was important that we continued to build on recent form. #smallsteps.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
It does not get any easier for Sporting Bengal, as they visit third-placed Southend Manor next weekend. while Redbridge host Hullbridge.
Sporting Bengal: Adjei, Cameron, Carvell, Da Silva, Kobia, Mendes, Noor, Noble, Siddik, Tandon, Wheeler.