Sporting Bengal gun down Enfield; Tower Hamlets grounded at Stansted
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal 4 Enfield 0
Sporting Bengal ended a six-game winless streak as they ran out comfortable winners over Essex Senior League rivals Enfield in their latest fixture at Mile End Stadium.
Having let a two-goal lead slip on their way to a 3-2 defeat at Sawbridgeworth a week earlier, the home side opened the scoring again through Codey Cameron.
And Oscar Mendes, a graduate from the BFA Summer League, ran through and showed his composure to beat the visiting keeper and slot home his second goal in two games to make it 2-0 at the interval.
Cameron added his fourth goal in three games – and eighth of the season – after the restart to end any faint hopes of a comeback from Enfield, before new signing Steve Carvell rounded off the scoring with a fourth late on, taking a couple of touches in the box and steering a low shot inside the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Imrul Gazi tweeted: “A really solid all round team performance today. Much deserved win, with so many positives. Really pleased to have @CarvellS9 on board.”
Sporting face a tough trip to FC Romania on Wednesday, before hosting leaders Barking next weekend.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Sporting: N Ahmed, Cameron, Carvell, Da Silva, Kobia, Mendes, Noor, Siddik, Vaughan, Wheeler, Wright. Subs: Adjei, Alexander, Miah, M Ahmed.
Stansted 4 Tower Hamlets 0
Tower Hamlets ended up well beaten by the Airportmen at Hargrave Park as they suffered their 15th defeat in 16 Essex Senior League and cup outings.
The home side were awarded a penalty after a quarter of an hour, but Euan Taylor-Reid missed from the spot as he put his low effort wide of the left-hand post and the scoreline remained blank.
Stansted were forced into an early change due to injury but took the lead seven minutes before half time through Jack Isherwood’s free-kick, which bounced inside the far post.
The hosts doubled their lead on the hour and Isherwood scored direct from a corner to make it 3-0 moments later.
A fourth Stansted goal arrived 15 minutes from time as Thomas Lakin found the net and Ade Abayomi’s Hamlets will hope for better when they host Hullbridge at Mile End Stadium on Monday night.