Non-league: Sporting Bengal 1 Stanway Rovers 2
- Credit: Archant
Sporting Bengal slipped to only their fourth defeat in 20 Essex Senior League matches this season as Stanway took the points at Mile End Stadium on Wednesday.
Imrul Gazi’s men went into the match on a three-game unbeaten run, having won 2-1 at Redbridge on Saturday.
But after slowly taking the initiative, following an even opening 10 minutes, they fell behind as the visitors netted with a near post header at a corner.
The hosts were almost gifted an equaliser before half time as a Stanway defender headed just over his own crossbar.
And Bengal went close after the restart with a shot that went just wide, before Stanway hit a post with a great strike.
You may also want to watch:
It was 2-0 soon after, though, as Stanway struck from the penalty spot, but Jay Knight gave Bengal a lifeline nine minutes from time.
And they almost snatched a leveller late on, but Knight headed a great chance over.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Bengal are set to welcome Barkingside to Mile End on Saturday in their last match before Christmas, before a trip to Harlow Town Reserves in the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy on December 28.