Sporting Bengal United hope for success at Ipswich Wanderers in FA Cup extra-preliminary round replay at SEH Sports Ground
- Credit: Archant
East Londoners looking to set up clash with Essex Senior League rivals Clapton in the next stage of famous, old competition
Sporting Bengal United will travel over 80 miles this evening hoping to create history in the FA Cup.
Imrul Gazi’s men make the trip to Ipswich Wanderers, of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, after playing out a goalless draw on Sunday.
The two teams couldn’t be separated at Wadham Lodge’s Stadium in Walthamstow at the weekend.
And they will do battle at the SEH Sports Ground in Humber Doucy Lane tonight for a place in the preliminary round of the competition.
You may also want to watch:
The only previous time the east Londoners have reached that stage of the FA Cup is back in 2008.
Bengal also needed a reply to qualify for the preliminary round during the 2008/09 campaign and beating London Colney 1-0 at home after drawing their previous meeting 1-1.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
Last weekend Gazi watched his Essex Senior League side create numerous chances at ‘home’ to Ipswich, but it finished goalless.
Ex-manager Anwar Uddin was in attendance and supporting his old club from the sidelines alongside his successor.
After the stalemate, Bengal’s current manager expressed his pride after taking charge of his first competitive match.
Gazi said: “I’m so proud of my lads, many positives to take into the reply with Ipswich Wanderers. We will only get better.
“Good to have Anwar at the game on Sunday, really appreciate the support and wise words.”
The winners of tonight’s tie at SHE Sports Ground will pocket £1,500 in prize money and earn a home tie with Clapton on August 20 in the next round.