Sunamganj crowned over 50’s District Cup champions
- Credit: Archant
Sunamganj exacted revenge by beating rivals Sylhet in the 2017 over 50’s Sylhet District Cup at Stepney Astroturf.
The Whitechapel-based team lost the final 2-1 to Sylhet in Hackney last year and with a team boosted by the selection of four new players started the game as favourites.
Both teams played a high tempo game and with temperatures rising and adrenaline levels remaining high throughout the opening hour both teams had a player each sent off.
With a minute remaining Moklu Miah sent Arman Ali flying in the box and up stepped Mostaque Choudhury for what would be a certain winner, but a stupendous gravity defying save from Ubedun Noor Choudhury sent the game into penalties.
Sylhet missed two spot kicks after Pervez Chowdhury had put them ahead.
You may also want to watch:
It was left to captain Jamal Uddin to step up and the veteran made no mistake with a rifle of a shot to seal the win and bag the trophy for his side.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park