Tower Hamlets’ Abayomi finds positives in loss
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Tower Hamlets co-manager Ade Abayomi praised his team’s performance despite defeat to Tooting & Mitcham in the London Senior Cup on Monday.
Hamlets lost 2-0 at Mile End Stadium to the south London club, who compete two divisions above them in the Bostik Premier Division.
But Abayomi was pleased with his team’s display against higher-tier opposition and said: “In the Tooting game the boys played well against the kind of team they were playing against.
“That’s why I don’t put it down to a bad performance that they lost the game.”
Tooting took the lead midway through the first half with a strike from outside the box.
You may also want to watch:
But Tower Hamlets kept themselves in with a chance of a leveller until the final minute when the visitors converted a penalty to advance to the next round.
Abayomi was less then impressed with his side’s 4-1 Essex Senior League defeat to Waltham Forest on Saturday.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 8 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
It was their third league defeat in four games and Abayomi added: “The game we lost against Waltham Forest, we didn’t deserve to win the game as we had a very poor performance and that reflected in the result.
“If you don’t take your chances in games and the other team take their chances. That’s when the missed chances come back to bite you.”
Tower Hamlets will hope to return to winning ways when they face fierce rivals Sporting Bengal at Mile End Stadium on Saturday, having won their earlier derby meeting by a 3-2 margin.