Tower Hamlets progress through Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Tower Hamlets edged over the line to progress into the next round of the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy as they beat Stansted 4-3 on penalties.
Ade Abayomi and AJ Ashanike’s men drew 1-1 after conceding a late goal, but managed to pick up their eighth straight win, as they held their nerve and won on penalties at Mile End Stadium.
The hosts introduced a handful of their youth team into the line-up for the match to give them a taste of first team action.
Both sides held strong and went in 0-0 at half-time and it wasn’t until the 56th minute when the deadlock was broken by Tower Hamlets substitution Chaka Barnett.
Stansted fought back and equalised in the 91st minute through Nick Carpenter to take the match to penalties.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets managed to regroup and win the shootout 4-3 and set up an away tie at Sawbridgeworth Town in round two of the trophy.
Tower Hamlets: Bennett, Kenward, Williams, Ibenwe, Best, Furtado, Wright, Montiero, Ross, Childs, Ackie.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Subs: Bello, Lukombo, Barnett, McKnight, Woolnough.
Stansted: Pitman, Isherwood, Blair, Moore, Carpenter, Howard, Gormley, Longalonga, Ramsey, Olmas, Lloyd.
Subs: Bennett, Nevill, Ainslie, Alozie, Gleisinger.