Tower Hamlets fall short against Sawbridgeworth Town
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Tower Hamlets 2 Sawbridgeworth Town 3
Tower Hamlets fell to a narrow 3-2 defeat against Sawbridgeworth Town despite a late fight back as they desperately tried for an equaliser.
A brace from Joe Wright and another from Julian Lloyd sealed the three points for the Robins at the Mile End Stadium.
Wright opened the scoring in the sixth minute as he beat the offside trap and chipped the ball over the keeper.
In the 25th minute Hamlets levelled the score but the visitors restored their lead just seven minutes later thanks to Lloyd.
You may also want to watch:
Ten minutes into the second-half Wright nabbed his second of the night as he fired home a rasping shot well outside the box which curled around the keeper and found the top corner.
The hosts then clawed another one back with five minutes left in the match but couldn#t find an equaliser after that.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
Manager AJ Ashanike tweeted after the match: “I’m not a happy manager tonight. “Coming back from a good win against Enfield on Saturday to losing tonight is unacceptable from us all.
“Well done Sawbridgeworth Town took your chances well. See you again soon.
“Tower Hamlets we got get better.”