Upson can see Capello likeness in Zola
Matthew Upson believes West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola can emulate the success of compatriot Fabio Capello
By JONATHAN CLEGG
Matthew Upson believes West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola can emulate the success of compatriot Fabio Capello because the two Italians have a similar philosophy.
The Hammers defender has become a regular member of the England squad under Three Lions boss Capello and was named in the squad for this week's Wembley double header against Slovakia and Ukraine.
Capello has revitalised the national team since succeeding former coach Steve McClaren, while Hammers boss Zola has worked wonders at Upton Park following his appointment in September last year.
You may also want to watch:
Upson believes the duo's spectacular achievements are the result of a shared tactical vision, which stands them apart from their managerial counterparts.
The 29-year-old also revealed that the two managers have similar characters and both emphasise the importance of keeping possession of the ball.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 7 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
He said: "There are a lot of similarities in their character and the way they view football. They have a real tactical knowledge. Italian football is more tactical than the hustle and bustle of English football.
"Both managers have brought tactical awareness to their teams and that will make us better structured teams.
"At the top level that is the only way you can play football. Zola was a flair player and loved passing and moving the ball. Playing with Fabio Capello it is the same thing.
"If we don't have the ball we have a good shape and are hard to break down."
Upson was one of three West Ham players in the England squad, with Upton Park team-mates Robert Green and Carlton Cole also selected in the senior squad.
The trio's involvement with the international set-up continues the club's famous history of producing England players and Upson admits that the current team are well aware of the tradition.
"It's massive and something West Ham are very proud of," he said.
"When the country last won the World Cup there was a big West Ham influence so it is very positive to have three players in the current squad.