Walking Football with West Ham and Leyton Orient
- Credit: Archant
Clubs holding sessions in east London for over-50s
Walking Footy is the fastest growing, albeit slowest, form of football in the country.
It provides a great opportunity for some retired folks to return to the game they once loved and played.
The sessions combat the biggest problems in the UK at the moment, loneliness and inactivity in the older generations.
One recent convert said: “I love it, I hadn’t played a game since I retired at 30, I’m 62 now!”
You may also want to watch:
Recently Walking Football has been promoted on Sky Sports – Alan Shearer and Harry Kane played – and on the Barclays TV adverts.
West Ham United Foundation and Leyton Orient Trust are now offering sessions for the over-50s at a host of locations in east London.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
The West Ham sessions take place at Beckton, E6 5NX on Wednesday (9.30-10.30am) at a cost of just £1, while free sessions are also held at the Olympic Park, E20 2ST on Monday (5-6pm), Priory Park, E6 1QH on Tuesday (10-11am) and Flanders Field, E6 2SG on Saturday (11am-12pm).
Walking football is non-contact and free-kicks are given against those who jog or sprint.
A full medical form will be completed on arrival and general sportswear, including trainers, is advised.
To book a place contact Darryl Gheerawo on 07803 201299 or email email@example.com.
Orient’s sessions take place at the Score Centre, Oliver Road, Leyton, E10 5JY at a cost of £3 and the contact is Phillip Smith on 0208 556 5973 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
No prior experience is needed and men and women can play and socialise with like-minded people while trying to get healthy and keep fit.